ALOR SETAR, 22 OKT -- Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia (KDYMM) Tuanku Sultan Kedah, Sultan Sallehuddin Ibni Almarhum Sultan Badlishah (kiri) berkenan membaca surat sumpah DiRaja sempena Istiadat Pertabalan Kebawah Duli Yang Maha Mulia (KDYMM) Tuanku Sultan Kedah Ke-29 di Balairung Seri, Istana Anak Bukit di sini hari ini.
Turut sama bersemayang KDYMM Tuanku Sultanah Kedah, Sultanah Maliha Binti Almarhum Tengku Ariff (kanan)

-- fotoBERNAMA (2018) HAK CIPTA TERPELIHARA

Steeped in tradition

Sultan Sallehuddin Ibni Almarhum Sultan Badlishah was installed as the 29th Sultan of Kedah in a ceremony steeped in tradition at the Balairung Seri (Throne Room) of Istana Anak Bukit, Alor Star yesterday. The event followed full traditions and customs of Kedah Malay Sultanate. — Picture by Bernama

See page 2

HISHAM: I WILL GET HIM BACK

Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein has offered to bring fugitive financier Jho Low back to Malaysia. The former defence minister said he was ready to leverage his relationships in China to secure the extradition and vowed to do so “until the end of the world.”

See page 4

China: US must ‘think twice’ about nuclear treaty pullout

BEIJING — China yesterday called on the United States to “think twice” about its decision to ditch a Cold War-era nuclear weapons treaty with Russia.

US President Donald Trump announced over the weekend his plan to withdraw from the 1987 Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty, which banned ground-launch nuclear missiles with ranges from 500 to 5,500 kilometres .

But Trump said the Russians had been violating it “for many years” and that China, not a signatory, remained free to develop such weapons.

Two top Republican lawmakers backed Trump’s worries about China on Sunday, saying there are concerns the treaty is holding the US back while allowing China to move forward with its own developments.

“It needs to be emphasised that it is completely wrong to bring up China when talking about withdrawal from the treaty,” said Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying yesterday.

The treaty has played an important role in advancing the disarmament process and maintaining a strategic balance and global stability, Hua said.

“Unilateral withdrawal will have a multitude of negative effects,” she told a regular news briefing.

Hua said China hoped the relevant parties can “think twice about the issue of withdrawing,” in a reference to the US.

On Sunday Republican Senator Lindsey Graham backed Trump’s plan to withdraw from the nuclear accord, saying the US needed to be free to respond to a Chinese nuclear build-up.

Washington has complained for nearly two years that a ground-launched missile system deployed by Russia breaches
the treaty.

Another senior Republican, Senator Bob Corker, said on CNN that he hoped Trump’s stance was designed merely to pressure Russia to return into compliance.

The landmark treaty was signed by Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev and led to nearly 2,700 short- and medium-range missiles being eliminated.

It put an end to a mini-arms race in the 1980s triggered by the Soviet Union’s deployment of SS-20 nuclear missiles targeting Western European capitals.
— AFP

20181017HAB5

Luxury weekend getaway for the high-flying gentleman

KUALA LUMPUR — Luxury yachts, seaplanes, helicopters and supercars are just a few things on the agenda at Puteri Harbour in Johor Baru from Oct 26-28 at the Stylo Gentlemen’s Weekend event.

Stylo International’s first-ever yacht and luxury lifestyle show, organised with Malaysia Fashion Week and in collaboration with Maritime International Showcase Malaysia, promises runway presentations like no other.

The weekend is set to transform Puteri Harbour — dubbed the jewel of Iskandar Puteri — into a playground for chaps who fancy a James Bond-like lifestyle.

Presented by Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Kuala Lumpur and UEM Sunrise Berhad, the inaugural do will be held at the Puteri Harbour marina.

Event chairman Rolv Reissiger said the weekend will be one-of-a-kind as it features the special interests of most gentlemen.

“It is an entire weekend showcasing men’s lifestyle products including fashion, cigars and big boys’ toys like helicopters, seaplanes, super and classic cars, as well as luxury yachts.

“It will also be a perfect business networking platform for dealers, brokers and manufacturers of luxury lifestyle products,” he said at a press conference at the Rolls-Royce showroom in Petaling Jaya.

The event will feature the Malaysian debut of Rolls-Royce’s Black Badge range.

Crafted to thrill, the range is a tenacious embodiment of elegance and a beacon for those who defy convention.

“The range is the alter ego of the brand with an edgier, darker and a more assertive look. Risk takers who are affluent and highly successful will appreciate its uncompromising performance with super luxury standards of engineering and craftsmanship,” said Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Kuala Lumpur executive director Anas Zamawi Khalid.

The event will also include the opening of the US-based International Seakeepers Society — founded in 1998 by a small group of yacht owners — in Puteri Harbour, marking the society’s second presence in Asia after Singapore.

With about 600 members worldwide, which includes Avatar and Titanic film director James Cameron, the society supports marine science and conservation by utilising yachts for research, educational outreach and for deploying oceanographic instruments.

Board member and Asia president Julian Chang said the foray into Johor would enable the society to work closely with the government and private companies to protect, care and find solutions to critical ocean issues.

The three-day event is poised to attract thousands of visitors and aims to boost the potential and marketability of Puteri Harbour as a tourist destination.

Stylo International made its debut in Kuala Lumpur in 2007 as one of the events of the Kuala Lumpur Grand Prix to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of the F1 event in Sepang, and has since grown into a brand that promotes Malaysian fashion talents.

Visit www.stylogentlemensweekend.com for the full programme schedule.

TABAL33_221018_PERTABALAN

Sultan Sallehuddin installed as 29th Sultan of Kedah

ALOR STAR ― Sultan Sallehuddin Ibni Almarhum Sultan Badlishah was installed as the 29th Sultan of Kedah in a ceremony steeped in tradition at the Balairung Seri (Throne Room) of Istana Anak Bukit here yesterday.

Following the installation, His Royal Highness will henceforth be addressed as “Al Aminul Karim Sultan Sallehuddin Ibni Almarhum Sultan Badlishah”.

The installation was held in full tradition and custom of the Kedah Malay Sultanate, a historic ceremony considering that the last installation was held almost six decades ago, in 1959, when Sultan Abdul Halim Mu’adzam Shah ibni Almarhum Sultan Badlishah ascended the Kedah throne.

The ceremony began with Sultan Sallehuddin and Sultanah Maliha Almarhum Tengku Ariff entering the Balairung Seri, accompanied by the bearers of the Cogan Agama (Sceptre of Religion), Cogan Alam (Sceptre of the Universe), Cokmar (The Mace), the royal swords and lances, as well as the military and police escorts, led by the Head of Ceremony Datuk Syed Unan Mashri Syed Abdullah Shahbuddin.

As the Royal Highnesses entered the Balairung Seri, the selawat (salutation to Prophet Muhammad) was recited and the royal music ensemble sounded the nobat. Their Royal Highnesses sat on the throne while the bearers of the royal regalia took their respective positions.

The Head of the Ceremony approached the Royal Highnesses and sought the consent to begin the ceremony. Then, the Datuk-Datuk Bergelar titled chieftains brought in the instruments of installation and placed them on a special table.

These items included the Quran, letter of the proclamation, royal oath of office, state keris, gold tengkolok (headgear) and a chest containing valuable items that symbolise the powers and richness of the Sultan of Kedah.

Kedah Mufti Datuk Sheikh Fadzil Awang, accompanied by Datuk Setia Jaya and Datuk Murshid DiRaja, then led the recitation of the doa and verses from the Quran.

The Head of the Ceremony then approached the Sultan and presented the Quran. The Sultan kissed the Quran and placed it on a special place reserved for the Holy Book.

Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Mukhriz Mahathir read out a proclamation on the installation of the Sultan of Kedah. The Head of the Ceremony approached the Sultan and presented the Scroll of the Royal Oath of Office and the Sultan stood up and read out the Royal Oath of Office.

Then, the Head of the Ceremony approached the Sultan and presented the state keris which the Sultan unsheathed, kissed, sheathed and placed on a special stable. The state keris symbolises the greatness of the sovereignty and authority of His Royal Highness.

The Head of the Ceremony then announced that Sultan Sallehuddin Ibni Almarhum Sultan Badlishah had been installed as the 29th Sultan of Kedah. He also hailed Daulat Tuanku’ thrice and everyone present in the Throne Room followed suit.

The royal music ensemble sounded the nobat and a 21-gun salute was fired in the palace grounds. The ceremonial umbrella was opened and the royal musical ensemble played the song “Allah Selamat Sultan”.

The Sultan sat on the throne again and the Raja Muda of Kedah, on behalf of the members of the royalty, read out a message of congratulations. Mukhriz then read out a message of congratulations on behalf of the government and the people.

Kedah Mufti Datuk Sheikh Fadzil read the doa again. The Head of the Ceremony approached the Sultan and sought the consent to conclude the ceremony.

Several other ceremonies were also held in conjunction with the installation. The ‘‘Istiadat Letak Kerja’’ to mark the launch of the ceremonies for the Sultan’s installation was held on Sept 20; “Istiadat Ziarah Makam” (visit to the graves) on Oct 5; “Istiadat Siram Tabal” (royal bathing ceremony) on Oct 14; and “Istiadat Perarakan” (royal parade) on Oct 20.

Sultan Sallehuddin was proclaimed the 29th Sultan of Kedah on Sept 12 last year, succeeding Sultan Abdul Halim Mu’adzam Shah who passed away the previous day.

The Sultan was born on April 30, 1942. He is the ninth of the 14 children of Sultan Badlishah Sultan Abdul Hamid Halim Shah who had ruled Kedah from 1943 to 1958.

Sultan Sallehuddin and Sultanah Maliha are blessed with two children, Datuk Tunku Sarafudin Badlishah and Datuk Tunku Shazuddin Ariff. ― Bernama

Anwar will be PM, but depends on the people, says Dr M

SHAH ALAM — Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has once again promised that Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim will be the next prime minister.

“After I leave my position, surely there will be a replacement, and if the masses want Datuk Seri Anwar, then they have the right to get Datuk Seri Anwar,” said Dr Mahathir.

He said he would keep his end of the promise but the final decision lies in the
hands of the people.

“I promise, after I resign Anwar will take over. (But) it depends on the people to choose who they want,” he said during a forum moderated by Tan Sri Johan Jaafar, which was organised by Malay daily Sinar Harian.

Pakatan Harapan had announced during the campaign before the general election that Dr Mahathir would helm the position of prime minister, before passing the baton to Anwar.

The promise to see Anwar rise to the top proved feasible after he was granted a full Royal Pardon by the Yang DiPertuan Agong, and his recent win in the Port Dickson parliamentary by-election.

However, Dr Mahathir said he has misjudged characters before, drawing reference to the two former prime ministers Tun Abdullah Badawi and Datuk Seri Najib Razak.

“I cannot guarantee (it),” Dr Mahathir responded when asked by the moderator whether Anwar was the same person from 22 years ago when he held a position in office.

“Like when I chose Datuk Abdullah, I thought it was a good choice, he was a religious person, but look what happened.

“Then I chose his replacement, that he be replaced by Najib, the son of Tun Abdul Razak who was an icon; I thought it would surely be good, but then look what happened,” he said, drawing chuckles and applause from the crowd.

When asked to respond to remarks made by his special adviser Datuk A. Kadir Jasin, who said Pakatan Harapan leaders were sabotaging their own government due to their incompetence and greed, Dr Mahathir said: “Having leaders who show ignorance, greed, and lack of focus is better than having robbers and thieves to form the government.

“When we start something, our achievements won’t be as expected,” Dr Mahathir said, adding that governing was a learning curve that needed to be overcome by the new leaders.

20181022HR11

Lim: Possible to get back RM10b if ECRL axed

KUALA LUMPUR ― Malaysia Rail Link Bhd (MRL) could recoup RM10.02 billion from China Communications Construction Company Ltd (CCCC) if the government decides to abandon the East Coast Rail Link (ECRL) project.

Lim said this was because MRL, a special purpose vehicle owned by the Finance Ministry, made an advance payment of RM19.68 billion to CCCC.

“I would like to highlight that RM10.02 billion in advance payment can be reclaimed by MRL if the project doesn’t go through. So, in the worst case scenario, MRL can recoup RM10.02 billion from the total of RM19.68 billion,” he said in Parliament yesterday.

Lim said the other RM9.67 billion could not be claimed as it was for project advancements up to Feb 15.

Tanjong Karang MP Tan Sri Noh Omar had asked the government regarding the latest progress on negotiations between Malaysia and China over the suspended ECRL project.

Lim said negotiations are ongoing and he could not divulge the latest developments as it was classified.

The project was initially declared as cancelled following the prime minister’s visit to China in August, but it was later clarified that it was suspended.

Lim expressed his preference for the Central Spine Road (CSR) connecting the east coast of the peninsula to the west over the suspended ECRL.

Replying to a question by Kota Baru MP Datuk Takiyuddin Hassan (PAS), Lim said he prefers the CSR as it can benefit the public in the east coast without burdening the government, unlike the ECRL.

“The government must look at what we can afford. We will be burdened and we can’t afford to pay RM81 billion (for the ECRL). We haven’t taken into account the interest rate over 20 years due to the loan as well as the operational expenditure of RM1 billion a year. It will be a recurring loss,” he said.

“The CSR will make life easier for those returning home to the east coast. This is my personal view and we are committed to seeing the project completed.”

Takiyuddin earlier pointed out that Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad promised balanced development for all states during the 11th Malaysia Plan Review last Thursday, adding that the cancellation of ECRL would weigh on the development of the east coast states.

‘Nothing new about cash-strapped Kelantan’

KUALA LUMPUR — Lim Guan Eng defended his remark about the Kelantan government’s impoverished financial state in the Dewan Rakyat yesterday, saying he is not the first person to highlight it.

The finance minister said his predecessor Datuk Seri Najib Razak, who was prime minister then, had noted the PAS-led state government’s inability to pay the salaries of its civil servants without help from the federal government, then under Barisan Nasional, and cited a news report dated Jan 28 to back his assertion.

“It is true the Kelantan government cannot afford to pay salaries. This had been going on from before. Recently, I had approved an allocation to assist the Kelantan government,” he told reporters at the Parliament lobby yesterday.

Earlier. the Dewan Rakyat turned unruly when Lim pointed out that the Kelantan government could not “afford” to pay its civil servants’ salaries without federal government assistance.

Lim took a jab at Kota Baru MP Datuk Takiyuddin Hassan (PAS) when he asked Lim if the Kelantan, Pahang and Terengganu governments could take over the East Coast Rail Link project currently suspended by the federal government.

“I will wait for the letter (of intent) if the Kelantan and Terengganu state governments are interested in taking over this project,” said Lim.

“But I wonder how the Kelantan government is going to do it when they can’t even afford to pay salaries for their civil servants.”

Najib schooled over Penang land issue

KUALA LUMPUR — Former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak is “deliberately” confused between land sold by the Penang government for revenue over land sold for national development and employment creation, Lim Guan Eng said yesterday.

The former Penang chief minister said his administration sold only 106 acres or 36 times less than the 3,661 acres of land sold by the previous Barisan Nasional (BN) government. Lim added that he did not include land sold by both Pakatan Harapan (PH) and the BN state government for development and employment creation.

“Land sold for economic and national development were not included in our calculation, only those sold to collect revenue,” Lim, who is finance minister and also DAP secretary-general, said in a statement.

He said more than 1,600 acres of reclaimed land near Butterworth were sold by the previous BN government with only five per cent of the reclaimed land to be given to the state government.

“The PH government renegotiated and increased the price of reclaimed land for Butterworth from five per cent to 35 per cent of land to be given to the state government,” Lim said.

Despite PH selling 36 times less of land, Lim said PH still received more money than BN because the land sales were sold by open tender instead of direct negotiations by BN.

“The revenue from land sales by the PH government was used for affordable housing, leaving a remaining sum amounting to only 10.4 per cent for state expenditure. So, it is not true that state government revenue and surpluses came solely from land sales.”

Grab-taxi rules need six months

KUALA LUMPUR — The government will take about half a year starting Jan 2, to create a level playing field for taxis and e-hailing firms like Grab, Datuk Kamarudin Jaffar said yesterday.

The deputy transport minister said the process involved several agencies and time was needed to ensure a smooth implementation.

“The ministry’s decision is that they will be subjected to certain conditions, but we need time before it can be implemented,” he said, referring to the e-hailing companies.

“Otherwise, it will be impossible for Puspakom and the relevant departments to complete the processes and conditions — including car registration and testing. Our goal is to ensure that Grab or other e-hailing services will not have an advantage over the taxi operators.”

He also reaffirmed the government’s position that e-hailing services would not be dissolved despite the demands by taxi operators.

Kamarudin said he was disappointed with taxi operators for walking out of a meeting with Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad just because they were upset with the government for keeping e-hailing services.

“The prime minister cares about the people of Langkawi and their welfare. Based on the reports, harsh words were used and they just walked out of the meeting,” he said.

“Regardless whether it is taxi drivers or not, we shouldn’t behave in that manner with a national leader whose focus is on developing the nation.”

E-Paper Article View